Recipe by barefootmommawv
I've been making this for years it's a huge family hit. Not sure where I gathered the recipe from but I remember right before I got married I made this folder of recipes I wanted to try on the new hubby. Well this is one that has stuck. It's still in the orginal folder and I use it all the time.
Top Review by Lavender Lynn
This came out of the oven looking the way a meatloaf should, and it served nicely and tasted great! I followed the recipe exactly except omitting the liquid smoke -- something I've never had in my kitchen. Taking Mikekey's suggestion, I also applied the topping partway through; maybe should have done a little earlier, but it was just fine! Made for 123 Hit Wonders, Feb. 2009.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup tomato ketchup
- 3⁄4 cup tomato juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 1 tablespoon liquid smoke
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3⁄4 cup fresh breadcrumb
- 1⁄4 cup long grain rice
- 1⁄4 cup tomato ketchup
- 1⁄2 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 3 teaspoons brown sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, combine first 12 ingredients. Mix until thoroughly blended.
- Add bread crumbs and rice. Mix again.
- Line a 9 x 5 in loaf pan with foil. Press in beef mixture and shape.
- In a seperate bowl mix topping ingredients, mixing well. Spread over top of meatloaf.
- Bake 400 degrees for 45 minutes or until done.
- Drain off fat. Let meatloaf rest for 5 minutes before serving.