Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Have fond memories of my grandma making this on her stove. Is comfort food at its best. See my recipe for Cottage Ham. This recipe utilizes that recipe first. Not normally a white-bread lover, but reminds me of my childhood to make this ham into the best leftover sandwich ever. White bread, cottage ham, and Miracle Whip. Like it best with the ham warmed up. Don't salt until you taste it. The ham is salty. Might be good served with a horseradish sauce on the side or a grainy mustard. Unsure of yield.
- 3 lbs cottage ham
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 5 carrots, peeled, cut bite-size
- 5 potatoes, peeled, quartered
- 1 head cabbage, cut large wedges
- Place the Cottage Ham in a large pot. Cover with cold water and cook at medium heat for 30 minutes. Add the onion, carrots, potatoes, cabbage and pepper. Cover with more water if necessary. Cook until the vegetables are fork-tender. You could drain off the first water that the ham is cooked in if it's too greasy. Add new water if you like.
- Serve in a bowl with buttered bread along side.