Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
As with all things, if you are tired enough and don't have all the ingredients you want to make up something you planned on you come up with something you didn't.
- 1 (8 ounce) canchopped spinach (use fresh if you have it)
- 1 cup small curd cottage cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 pinch pepper, to taste
- 2 1⁄2 lbs broiler chickens
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- Squeeze out as much moisture from the spinach as you can (use fresh if you have it, but if not can is ok).
- Mix together spinach, cottage cheese, eggs, parmesan, salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Here is the tricky part. Take your chicken and cut it down the middle of the breast plate and all the way through the back (you can help by trying to break it). Now you have your chicken in two halves.
- Turn your chicken breast side up. Loosen the skin from breast and drumsticks by inserting one hand, palm side down. Gently push hand beneath the skin against the meat to loosen the skin.
- Try not to tear the skin.
- Spoon the spinach mixture into pockets beneath skin.
- Place chicken, breast side up, in a roasting pan. Combine olive oil, oregano, rosemary, and thyme and brush it over chicken. Bake, uncovered, at 375 degrees for 1 hour or until chicken is done.