Prep 10 mins
Cook 14 mins
- 2 1⁄2 cups Pillsbury BEST® All Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup Crisco® Baking Sticks Butter Flavor All-Vegetable Shortening, chilled and sliced
- 1 cup small curd cottage cheese
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- powdered sugar
- 1 (12 ounce) jar Smucker's® Orchard's Finest® Michigan Red Tart Cherry Preserves
- HEAT oven to 350°F Mix flour and salt in a medium bowl. Cut shortening into flour mixture with pastry blender. Cut in cottage cheese and vanilla until a firm dough is formed.
- SPRINKLE counter with powdered sugar. Roll out dough to 1/8-inch thickness. Cut into 2-inch squares. Fill with 1/2 teaspoon preserves. Overlap opposite corners; seal tightly. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- BAKE 14 to 16 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool 2 minutes. Remove to wire rack to cool completely. Arrange on serving platter; sprinkle with powdered sugar, if desired.
I liked the idea of these tarts and the ingredients in the dough, but no matter how long I baked them, they didn't brown on top and they were still doughy. Most likely something I may have done wrong. Wish my tarts looked like the picture, but alas they didn't. That won't stop us from eating them though. I think maybe the preserves need to be thicker or maybe drained a bit as they do run during cooking. Thanks for the post. Made for Fall PAC, 2012.