Prep 1 hr
Cook 5 mins
This is one of my favourite comfort foods. It's not a dish you will eat if on a weight reduction diet. Usually farmer sausage is eaten with it and served with a cream gravy. This recipe is my step mother's recipe and its easy to make.
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 3 egg whites, beaten
- 1⁄2 tablespoon salt
- 3 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup margarine
Cottage Cheese filling
- 1 (600 g) container dry curd cottage cheese
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 -3 tablespoons butter or 2 -3 tablespoons margarine
- 1 cup heavy cream or 1 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄2 tablespoon flour
- Cottage Cheese filling: Mix tog the dry curd cottage cheese with the egg yolks, salt and pepper to taste.
- Dough: Rub together flour, salt and margarine as you do for pie dough.
- Add milk and beaten egg whites.
- Knead well.
- Roll dough very thin on a lightly floured board.
- Cut rounds with a 3-inch cutter.
- Place a spoonful of filling in the center.
- Moisten the edges with a little water and fold over to make a half circle, pinching the edges tog, making sure no filling is in the seal or they will open up while being cooked.
- Drop a few varenikje at a time into a large pot of rapidly boiling water.
- Do not cook too many at one time.
- Stir gently with a wooden spoon to keep them from sticking to the bottom of the pot and to each other.
- Cook about 3-4 minutes: they are ready when they are well puffed.
- Gently remove them and place in a serving dish.
- If you prefer, after cooking them, you can brown them in butter in a hot skillet.
- Serve them hot with cream gravy or sour cream.
- Gravy: Melt the butter in in a large frying pan.
- Mix by shaking the flour and cream in a jar with a lid.
- Add to the hot butter and stir until thickened.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Depending on how much gravy you like, you may have to make a double recipe of the gravy.
- These varenikje can be frozen before cooking, by placing them on well floured cookie sheets and placed in the freezer.
- When well frozen, place into plastic bags in amounts as needed per meal.