1/4 Photos of Cottage Cheese Rolls
Jacquie Engbrecht's Note:
I grew up with this Mennonite dessert and it is a family favorite that we traditionally always have at Christmas. The rolls by themselves are simple and perhaps unimpressive, but once you add the cinnamon icing, they are to DIE FOR!!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Blend together cottage cheese, margarine, flour & salt (I often use a potato masher for this). Form into a ball and chill dough overnight in a sealed container. (This is so the dough isn’t so goopy and sticky & makes it easier to handle and roll out later).
- 2Divide into four parts. Take one part at a time and roll dough into a circle on a lightly floured surface (about 10-12 inches in diameter). Cut into 12 wedges and roll up each wedge (start with large end) to form croissant shape.
- 3Bake at 350F for approximately 20 minutes or until you notice nice golden brown spots forming (this is the cottage cheese). Alternatively, you can freeze them and bake them at another time. Personally, I find that I actually like them better when they’ve been frozen. For some reason, when you make them fresh, they turn out a little differently. You also don’t really need to thaw them out before baking for more than a few minutes.
- 4Frost with icing. Now, the icing is actually the part that makes these so good! The rolls themselves are not sweet at all and really only transform into a dessert once the icing is added. The icing happens to also be one of those things that I don’t have a recipe for and sort of just “wing it”. It’s maybe roughly a cup of icing sugar, maybe 4 tablespoons of milk, and several dashes of cinnamon. You can experiment with the amounts until you get something you’re happy with.
- 5These are best served fresh and warm out of the oven and I like them with a nice cold glass of milk!
Browse Our Top Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cottage Cheese Rolls
Serving Size: 1 (81 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 317.2
- Calories from Fat 122
- Total Fat 13.6 g
- Saturated Fat 3.2 g
- Cholesterol 7.7 mg
- Sodium 300.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 15.8 g
- Protein 7.9 g