Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
This recipe has been in our family for so many years, I no longer remember where it came from. It's easy and quick and people seem to really enjoy it.
- 1 prepared unbaked pie shell (store bought, such as Pillsbury)
- 2 cups cottage cheese (not lowfat)
- 1⁄2 cup grated cheddar cheese or 1⁄2 cup monterey jack cheese
- 1 small onion, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 1⁄2 ounces fried onions, crushed or 1⁄4 cup seasoned dry bread crumb
- 2 eggs
- Bake pie shell at 400 degrees for about 3-5 minutes.
- Combine rest of ingredients except fried onions.
- Stir to mix.
- Place mixture in pie shell and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle with fried onions (or breadcrumbs).
- Return to oven and bake 15 minutes longer.
- Remove and let stand for 5 minutes.
My family also has this recipe but it's slightly different: the cottage cheese is onion-chive variety and there is no fresh onion. The 1/2 cup of grated cheese is swiss. Instead of two eggs there are four eggs plus 1/3 cup half and half.
Real men do eat quiche if they are told it is pie. In the 80's there was a popular book entitled "Real Men Don't Eat Quiche" by Bruce Feirstein which was really more a satire of "what real men" should and shouldn't do, so to be on the safe side I called it "Cottage Cheese Pie" until after it was consumed by the men to whom it was served. They liked it except they are onion haters and I couldn't sneak it by them despite finely chopping the onion. Next time I was asked to leave out the onions (maybe go with a clove or two of garlic).
Oh my is this delicious!!! I have never been a huge quiche fan but this is wonderful! My only complaint is that it seemed to not have much egg - I might add another one or two next time. I used lowfat cottage cheese without any problem. I also added about 1 tsp of Italian seasoning to the filling and I made homemade breadcrumbs - E-Z Seasoned Bread Crumbs - for the top. Thanks so much for sharing windhorse23!!