Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
OFENSCHLUPFER MIT QUARK A dessert from a German grandmother.
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 1⁄3 cup superfine sugar
- 1⁄3 cup white raisins, seedless
- 4 soft bread rolls
- 2 cups apples, thinly sliced
- 2 eggs
- 2⁄3-1 cup milk
- 1 -2 teaspoon lemon peel, grated
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
- Soak raisins in warm water for 15 minutes and drain.
- Remove the crusts from rolls and slice thinly.
- Mix the cheese with a pinch of salt, the sour cream and 2 Tablespoons of the sugar, then mix in the raisins.
- Line the bottom of a buttered oven dish with the bread slices, then cover with the cheese mixture.
- A layer of thinly sliced apples may be added at this stage.
- Cover with the remaining slices of bread. Whisk the eggs with the milk, the grated lemon peel and half of the remaining sugar, and pour the mixture over the pudding.
- Sprinkle with the remaining sugar, dot with the butter pieces and bake in a preheated 350°F oven for about 45 minutes or until brown and the custard has set.
I was looking for a small bread pudding that might also use up some cottage cheese and this worked perfectly! I used some scraps of white and brown bread sliced thin and sprinkled cinnamon and pecans on top of one sliced apple rather than using the lemon for flavoring. Otherwise followed as written YUMMY! Thanks for the recipe.
I had all the ingredients on hand for this except apples so made it as a breakfast treat. I used some leftover peach slices in lieu of apples which worked well. I love the faint lemon tatste in the cottage cheese layer. This was a lovely decadent breakfast pudding, thanks for posting!