Recipe by Miss Annie
I prefer this Amish pie with a graham cracker crust, but my family always used the pastry crust. Since this recipe makes 2 pies, try one of each. Ricotta cheese may be substituted for the cottage cheese.
Top Review by chia
i used ricotta cheese and 2 graham cracker crusts. the filling was very watery and i did have to bake it for 23 more minutes until it was set, but the next day the pies were very tasty and light, very good flavor. i would make this again, thanks miss annie
- 16 ounces cottage cheese
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 dash salt
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 2 unbaked 9-inch pie shells (pastry or graham cracker)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 425º F.
- Place cottage cheese in strainer and let drain for about 1 hour or until most of liquid has been drained.
- Combine all ingredients except egg whites; mix well.
- Beat egg whites until firm.
- Fold into batter until smooth.
- Pour into pie crusts.
- Bake for 15 minutes then reduce oven to 350º and bake for an additional 25 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool on racks.
- Flavor improves if served a day after baking.