Prep 1 hr
Cook 40 mins
I prefer this Amish pie with a graham cracker crust, but my family always used the pastry crust. Since this recipe makes 2 pies, try one of each. Ricotta cheese may be substituted for the cottage cheese.
- 16 ounces cottage cheese
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 dash salt
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 2 unbaked 9-inch pie shells (pastry or graham cracker)
- Preheat oven to 425º F.
- Place cottage cheese in strainer and let drain for about 1 hour or until most of liquid has been drained.
- Combine all ingredients except egg whites; mix well.
- Beat egg whites until firm.
- Fold into batter until smooth.
- Pour into pie crusts.
- Bake for 15 minutes then reduce oven to 350º and bake for an additional 25 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool on racks.
- Flavor improves if served a day after baking.
i used ricotta cheese and 2 graham cracker crusts. the filling was very watery and i did have to bake it for 23 more minutes until it was set, but the next day the pies were very tasty and light, very good flavor. i would make this again, thanks miss annie
It could be very well my mistake but the pie turned out to be an awfully watery one. In spite of the fact that I reduced the milk and added an extra package of vanilla pudding and eliminated the vanilla extract which would’ve given more liquid to the mixture. When I finished the filling with my modifications it was still much more watery than I would expected from a pie filling. I had to bake the pie for an extra 25 minutes on 350 Celsius and was still way too “liquidy”. I thought it is better if I keep baking it for an extra 25 minutes on 300. When I gave up baking, it was still undone inside and black on the top. The result was a soaked pie crust with a still watery inside and an unattractive burnt top. I would not do it again. But I am very curious that how it could be done with a good result. I am sorry Miss Annie to give you such a bad review. As I told it before it might be my fault that it was not a success.