Recipe by skviki
This is an eastern Mediterranean version. The influence of this type of dough manipulation reaches as far as the popular Austrian "Apfel strudel". The dough is used in this way all over middle east with slight differences and also Balkans and Central Europe.
- 500 g soft flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups lukewarm water (more or less)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 3 tablespoons pork fat
- 1⁄8 liter oil
- 500 -600 g low fat cottage cheese (lowfat from skimmed milk)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 -2 tablespoon sour cream (may be omitted) (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- For the dough: dissolve 1 teaspoon salt in water and mix it with flour and vinegar.
- Knead for 10-15 minutes to get a soft dough.
- Divide the dough into at least 5 little balls and roll each into 10-15 cm circle.
- Melt the fat and mix it with oil in a pot. Do not heat it too much over room temperature!
- Put the 5 rolled dough circles into the pot containing fat and oil mix and let it rest for about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile mix the ingredients for the fill: cottage cheese, salt, sour cream.
- I suggest you use a plastic tablecloth to protect the table from fat and to have a nice even surface for stretching the dough.
- Take one of the dough circles from the fat and put it on the table. Press on it with your hands to spread it as much as you can and then begin stretching it by lifting the edges and carefully pulling towards yourself. Stretch it from all sides as much as you can. Don't worry if a few holes start appearing.
- Scatter some of the fill on the thinly stretched dough.
- Fold the dough a few times to close the fill inside and set it aside.
- Repeat the same with other 3 dough circles but leave at least one aside.
- When you have at least 4 stretched, filled and folded portions, stretch the last one, put a little less fill on it than before, then put the previous 4 portions in the center of it, put some fill on them and fold the edges over them.
- Very carefully transfer this gentle mass into a baking pan and bake at 200°C for 50 minutes until it gets a dark golden colour.
- It is advisable to turn it over after 25 minutes of baking so the juices inside spread more evenly.