Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
Another recipe from that old Mennonite cookbook.
- 1 unbaked pie shell
- 1 1⁄2 cups cottage cheese
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 eggs, separated
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla flavoring or 1 teaspoon lemon flavoring or 1 teaspoon cinnamon flavoring, etc
- Combine cheese, sugar, salt, flour, beaten egg yolks, and flavoring. Mix well.
- Add milk slowly to make smooth mixture.
- Fold in beaten egg whites, then pour in pastry shell.
- Bake in 350 degree oven for 40 minutes, until set.
Sorry but I think this recipe is way off. Not sure when or where you add the butter or is that just a typo and 2 cups of milk makes the filling just way to runny. Not all of it would fit into the pie pan and after 45 minutes of cooking the filling is just like water with a small skin on top.
My DH asked me to make a Cottage Cheese pie. I had never heard of it. So I tried your recipe. It is very good. The first time I made it as written. Then the second time...I wanted something more...so I added some lemon and orange zest, dried cranberries and pecans and it was just right. Thank you for posting this keeper.