Top Review by Stephie Biggs
This is my preferred lasagna recipe. I like that it doesn't call for sausage. I usually mix a little sour cream in my cottage cheese. It just gives it a richer taste. I also (sometimes) add a layer of swiss cheese, again adding more depth to the taste. Oh, and I add bell pepper to the onions. Thanks for this recipe!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb ground chuck
- 1 quart whole tomato
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 8 ounces lasagna noodles
- 1 lb small curd cottage cheese
- 2 cups mild cheddar cheese, grated
- 3⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in skillet.
- Add onions and minced garlic and saute until tender.
- Add ground chuck and cook until meat is browned.
- Add tomatoes, tomato paste, salt, pepper, oregano and sugar.
- Simmer one and one half hours until the meat sauce is thick.
- Cook lasagna noodles in boiling salted water until they are tender, approx 10 minutes.
- Rinse in cool water until the noodles are cooled enough to handle.
- Lightly grease 13x9" pan.
- Place a small amount of meat mixture on bottom of pan.
- Arrange 1/3 of the noodles on top of meat mixture.
- Cover noodles with 1/3 of meat mixture, 1 cup cottage cheese, and 1/3 each of Cheddar cheese and Parmesan cheese.
- Repeat layers twice, using remaining 1 cup of cottage cheese on middle layer.
- Top layer only has meat sauce and cheeses.
- Bake at 350°F for 30-40 minutes.