Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
TIP: If you like it more fruity, use less cool whip. If you like it more creamy, use more cool whip. Also, you can "holiday" it up or customize it just by changing flavors. For Christmas, use green jello and add cherries. For Halloween, use orange jello and add mandarin oranges, etc.
- 1 (12 ounce) carton cottage cheese
- 1 (3 ounce) package Jello gelatin (any flavor)
- 1 (8 ounce) can fruit cocktail (drained)
- additional fruit, cut up (banana, apple, mandarin oranges) (optional)
- mini marshmallows (optional)
- Cool Whip
- Mix cottage cheese and jello until thoroughly blended.
- Add drained fruit cocktail. Mix in any additional fruit and mini marshmallows if desired.
- Add cool whip and stir.
Wonderful and refreshing, I added rice to it, and used strawberries, was very good
This "retro" salad reminds me of one my mother makes from a 1950s cookbook. I used 16 oz of cottage cheese, 8 oz of Cool Whip, 1 cup of mini marshmallows, orange Jello, and a drained small can of oranges; I think some shredded coconut would be good in this as well. I served it in a Victorian cut-glass dish with a thin layer of chopped pecans and cherries on top. It was a "hit" at a potluck, and six people asked me for the recipe! Thanks for sharing this easy, but delicious, salad!
My mom used to make this every Thanksgiving from the time I was about 11. She got the recipe from her friend Pat, so we used to call it "Pat Salad". She always used strawberry or cherry jello, added extra bananas and chopped walnuts. It has become a tradition in my house and now in my daughter's house as well.