Recipe by Pavithra Mahesh
cottage cheese called paneer are available in Indian stores
Top Review by darcy25
Great recipe! I made a few modifications to make it easier, faster, and a little lighter. First, I used a 10 oz package of frozen chopped spinach, defrosted. Instead of 2 fresh tomatoes, I used about 2/3 of a can of stewed tomatoes (not diced; and a whole can would be fine as well). I would recommend decreasing the amount of salt from 1 tbsp to 1 tsp (or none at all) if using the canned tomatoes. In addition, I skipped grinding spinach to a paste in the first step. Instead, after adding the tomatoes (as in step 4), I put the everything into a food processor. At the end, I substituted 2 tbsp fat free half-and-half for the 1 tbsp heavy cream. Tasted just like restaurant saag paneer! Very easy. I will certainly make this again some time.
- 9 ounces cottage cheese
- 8 ounces Baby Spinach
- 1 1⁄2-2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 2 onions
- 2 green chili peppers
- 1 teaspoon ginger-garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 cup water (use the water in which spinach was blanched)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garam masala powder (of 2 cloves, 1 cardamom and 1 cinnamon stick)
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Remove the stems from the spinach,blanch them in hot water and grind them into a fine paste.
- Add butter in a heavy bottomed vessel and add cumin seeds and let them splutter. Add finely onions and green chili saute them till light brown. Don’t burn them.Mean while shallow fry cottage cheese cubes in 1 tbsp of oil slightly brown.
- Add ginger garlic paste and fry further for 3 minutes. Add red chili powder and coriander powder and combine well.
- Blend the tomatoes,add the tomato paste and let it cook for 5-6 min on medium heat. Add the spinach paste and let it cook further for another 4-5 minute.
- Add the fried cottage cheese(paneer) cubes and combine. Cook covered on low heat for 3 minute Add the spinach water and salt and cook on medium heat for 10-12 minute.
- Add heavy cream, garam masala powder and chopped cilantro and mix well.
- Reduce flame, cover and cook for 2 mts.
- Serve hot with flat breads or white rice.