Prep 3 hrs
Cook 0 mins
This is a light fruit salad that goes well with chicken or pork. The cottage cheese keeps it from being overly sweet. Please note prep time includes chilling time. Kids like this, too!
- 1 (16 ounce) container small curd cottage cheese
- 1 (3 ounce) box Jello gelatin, any flavor (we like raspberry)
- 1 (8 ounce) container Cool Whip
- 1 (15 ounce) can fruit cocktail or 1 (15 ounce) canany fruit, drained
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts (optional) or 1⁄2 cup pecans, chopped (optional)
- Mix together cottage cheese and dry jello.
- Add the Cool Whip and mix thoroughly.
- Add fruit cocktail and nuts (if desired) and mix.
- Chill for at least 3 hours before serving.
FYI - My aunt taught me to let the cottage cheese sit in a strainer for an hour or so, to let the milk separate from the cheese curds, then it will have a much better texture....less mushy and runny.
We have tasted better fruit salads, and I blame it on dull fruit cocktail. Perhaps fresh fruit instead, like strawberries or raspberries, would have made it tastier, although no one seemed to care for the cottage cheese consistency either. Sorry, Terri, for being in the minority--just not for our taste buds.
I made this for Thanksgiving and used oragne Jello and mandarin oranges. The kids and adults loved it.