Prep 3 hrs
Cook 0 mins
This is a light fruit salad that goes well with chicken or pork. The cottage cheese keeps it from being overly sweet. Please note prep time includes chilling time. Kids like this, too!
- 1 (16 ounce) container small curd cottage cheese
- 1 (3 ounce) box Jello gelatin, any flavor (we like raspberry)
- 1 (8 ounce) container Cool Whip
- 1 (15 ounce) can fruit cocktail or 1 (15 ounce) canany fruit, drained
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts (optional) or 1⁄2 cup pecans, chopped (optional)
- Mix together cottage cheese and dry jello.
- Add the Cool Whip and mix thoroughly.
- Add fruit cocktail and nuts (if desired) and mix.
- Chill for at least 3 hours before serving.
I made this for Thanksgiving and used oragne Jello and mandarin oranges. The kids and adults loved it.
FYI - My aunt taught me to let the cottage cheese sit in a strainer for an hour or so, to let the milk separate from the cheese curds, then it will have a much better texture....less mushy and runny.
This turned out to be light and delicious! We didn't think it was overly sweet at all. I used strawberry jello, fruit cocktail, and small English walnut pieces. Terri F., thank you for the recipe! It's a keeper!!