Recipe by COOKGIRl
I combined my love for cottage cheese and cheese, basing this easy recipe on several cottage cheese enchilada recipes found on the web. (The big difference in this particular case being that I cut out several unnecessary ingredients.) The first time I prepared these enchiladas was for the sole purpose of using up an excess amount of cheese in the frig: cottage cheese, cheddar and mizithra. So, don't worry if you don't have mizithra on hand. Top with the enchilada sauce used in my great-grandmother's recipe: Molly's Cheese Enchiladas or any good tomatillo salsa and garnish, if you wish, with a dollop of: Guacamole Muy Facil or sour cream!
Top Review by sgmlkm
We used a colby jack cheese and also added olives to the mixture. My family loved this dish and I love that it is low calorie. Next time we're going to double it so we have leftovers. I will also try it exactly as written. I love cotija cheese but didn't have that on had when we made this.
- 16 ounces cottage cheese
- 1 1⁄2 cups extra-sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 cup mizithra cheese, grated or 1⁄2 cup Cotija cheese, crumbled
- 1 small white onion, grated
- black pepper, to taste
- 1 dozen corn tortilla
- 2 cups enchilada sauce (read intro )
- 2 -3 tablespoons fresh chives, for garnish
- lime wedge
Directions See How It's Made
- In a mixing bowl combine the cottage cheese, cheddar cheese, mizithra, onion and black pepper.
- Heat the enchilada sauce up in a large shallow pan.
- In a 9"x13" casserole dish, spread 1/4 cup of the enchilada sauce.
- Soften the corn tortillas by lightly steaming or quickly micro-steaming just until softened.
- Dredge each warmed tortilla lightly in the sauce.
- Fill each tortilla with about 1/4 cup of the cottage cheese mixture. Roll up and place seam side down in the casserole dish. Repeat.
- Pour the remaining sauce on top of the enchiladas. Cover with foil.
- Bake for about 35 minutes or until bubbly and heated through.
- Remove from oven and garnish with fresh chives and serve with lime wedges.
- Prep time does not include preparing the enchilada sauce.