Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Oh My!!! These enchiladas are too good to be true! I found this recipe on another recipe site and I just had to tell others about it! All of my guests love this dish. Just be careful, they're filling!
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, boiled and shredded or 2 ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 (1 ounce) package taco seasoning mix
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 2 cups cottage cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
- 12 flour tortillas or 12 corn tortillas
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese or 2 cups monterey jack cheese
- 1 (10 ounce) can red enchilada sauce
- Preheat oven to 350.
- To make meat mixture: Heat oil in medium saucepan, add either cooked shredded chicken or ground beef.
- (If using ground beef, cook until browned).
- Add onion and sautè and add taco seasoning and prepare according to package directions.
- To make cheese mixture: Combine sour cream, cottage cheese, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl.
- To assemble enchiladas: Take a bit of the meat mixture, cheese mixture, and shredded cheese and roll.
- Place the enchiladas in a 9x13 baking dish, with folded edge on bottom of pan.
- Top tortillas with any remaining meat or cheese mixture or shredded cheese.
- Pour the enchilada sauce over tortillas.
- Bake at 350 for 20-30 minutes or until bubbly.
- (If using flour tortillas, the ends will become a little dark, but that is OK).
These were fantastic! so creamy and different, I love them and my kids did too. Only change I made was I had green sauce and not red, excellent enchiladas!
I also found this recipe on another site years ago and it's my go to enchilada recipe. It's so good as written, very flavorful and creamy. Over the years I've started using recipe #98604 for the enchilada sauce, and recipe #66591 for the taco seasoning. Sometimes I add sliced black olives and/or black beans along with the chicken. This recipe also freezes well, I freeze the pan after assembled and before baking.
I was pleasantly surprised by this recipe. I was a bit unsure about cottage cheese in enchilladas at first but it turned out be fantastic. I made half with chicken and half with beef and both were fantastic. I added black olives to half of them for my bf (I don't like olives) and he loved it.