Recipe by Donna Matthews
This vegetarian main dish takes a bit of time and energy so we usually fix it for special occasions or company. Served with a salad and rolls, it is a beautiful gourmet meal.
- 1 large onion
- 2 lbs crookneck yellow squash, sliced
- 1⁄2 lb mushroom, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, diced
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 pint cottage cheese
- 8 ounces monterey jack cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme (or more)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- kelp (optional)
- parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut onion in half (from north to south), then in slices.
- Sautee squash, mushrooms, onion and garlic in oil until squash is slightly tender.
- Meanwhile, mix together eggs and cottage cheese.
- To assemble:.
- Place vegetables in bottom of 9 x 13 casserole dish, being careful to drain off all liquid.
- Spread cottage cheese mixture on top.
- Sprinkle with spices as desired.
- Sprinkle grated cheese on top.
- Lightly toss mixture with fork.
- Bake, uncovered, in 350 degree oven for 30 minutes.