This vegetarian main dish takes a bit of time and energy so we usually fix it for special occasions or company. Served with a salad and rolls, it is a beautiful gourmet meal.
- Cut onion in half (from north to south), then in slices.
- Sautee squash, mushrooms, onion and garlic in oil until squash is slightly tender.
- Meanwhile, mix together eggs and cottage cheese.
- To assemble:.
- Place vegetables in bottom of 9 x 13 casserole dish, being careful to drain off all liquid.
- Spread cottage cheese mixture on top.
- Sprinkle with spices as desired.
- Sprinkle grated cheese on top.
- Lightly toss mixture with fork.
- Bake, uncovered, in 350 degree oven for 30 minutes.
This was very good. I added cooked mild turkey sausage. IMPORTANT: must drain squash and mushrooms very well after sautéing.
I didn't think this took too much time to make at all. It was a wonderful new way to make summer squash. I made this as written, but used cheddar cheese instead of monterey jack. It's a great combination of veggies. It was delicious. Thanx!
We loved it and it is a wonderful way to get rid of the "always too much squash in the garden". I am going to add some spicy sausage to it the next time.