1/3 Photos of Cottage Cheese and Chive Bread ( Bread Machine )
3 hrs 15 mins
The original recipe was in the instruction book for my ABM (an Oster 2 Pound Expressbake). This bread is quite dense and very moist with a crisp crust. It slices easily and makes wonderful toast and sandwiches. It’s our favorite of all the recipes I’ve tried so far. The cottage cheese is all but invisible in the bread so don't worry about offending those who turn up their noses at the mention of it. I find it to be a sneaky way to get added calcium into their diets.
My Private Note
2 pound ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup warm water (110-115 F)
- 1 cup small curd low fat cottage cheese, drained slightly but not dry
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3 3/4 cups bread flour
- 3 tablespoons chopped chives (I use fresh but 2-3 teaspoons of dried would work)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package active dry yeast (2 1/4 teaspoons)
- 1Measure and add ingredients to YOUR bread maker according to YOUR instructions. (Mine takes all liquids first, then dry ingredients, with the yeast last.).
- 2Select the “Sweet Bread” setting.
- 3Select “Crust Color” medium.
- 4Press Start, walk away, come back 2 hours and 50 minutes later to behold your creation!
- 6Cottage cheese - I drain all the whey that will readily pour off but don't actually strain it to remove all the liquid. I suppose the drained liquid could replace all or part of the water but I haven't tried it.
- 7Dough Consistency - As with all bread recipes, more flour or water may be needed depending on the humidity. Watch during the first knead & if the bread looks too dry, add water, 1 teaspoon at a time, until the dough gathers up. Likewise, if the dough looks to wet (my machine makes a louder noise when this is the case) sprinkle in flour.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cottage Cheese and Chive Bread ( Bread Machine )
Serving Size: 1 (77 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 191.1
- Calories from Fat 30
- Total Fat 3.4 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 19.1 mg
- Sodium 374.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 1.2 g
- Protein 7.4 g