Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is out of Chatelaine mag. It has low fat, protein and very healthy veggies and taste good too. This asks for black beans but I have used pinto (didn't have the black on hand)with fine results so I would say to use the beans you like the best. For ZWT this is in the Spanish devision because of the olive oil, garlic and tomato. This was a combo that my dad loved and used often, he was a grand Son of Spain who was born in Andalusia shortly before my grand parents moved to the U.S.
- 3 large carrots, peeled
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large tomatoes
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped ham
- 2 cups water
- 10 ounces undiluted chicken broth
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 19 ounces black beans
- 1⁄3 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce (optional)
- Slice carrots into thin rounds, mince the garlic, and coarsely chop the onion.
- Coat a large saucepan with oil and set over medium-high heat.
- Add carrots, garlic and onion. Sprinkle with paprika, chili powder, oregano and salt.
- Stir occasionally until onion is softened, about 5 minutes.
- While onion is cooking, coarsely chop tomatoes.
- Add ham to onion mixture and stir often until ham is lightly browned, about 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, water, undiluted chicken broth and corn.
- Using a wooden spoon, scrape up and stir in brown bits from pan bottom to add flavour.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, to develop flavour, 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, drain and rinse beans. Add to pan and stir often until warm, 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Stir in parsley and Tabasco.
Hi Folks, I made this tonight with dried Lima beans & it was the Best Ham & Bean Soup , ever...Delish. Who knew, to add some spicy spices would make a dull bland soup pop ??? I made no adjustments , just right . I have saved to my recipe box & will make again ...Thank You !
wowser this is a good soup recipe easy to didnt use hot sauce but really good stuff try this one made for best of 2012
This is a keeper! Easy to put together and full of healthy ingredients and tasty goodness!