Recipe by TGIF Girl Friday
My neighbor, Janice, makes some darn good food and I never, ever mind being her guinea pig for her recipies. This one is one of my favorites and it is so easy and tastes so good.
- 1 lb dried navy beans
- 4 -5 cups water, to cover
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 ham steak, chopped
- 2 smoked ham hocks
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 -2 potato, cubed, no need to peel
- 2 carrots, chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- In a stock pot, add navy beans, water to cover, onion, ham steak, ham hocks, garlic, bay leaves and celery.
- Bring to a boil and reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 1 1/2 hours.
- Add potatoes and carrots and cook on medium low until carrots and potatoes are tender (about 35 to 40 minutes).
- Remove ham hocks and shred or just tear meat off of bone and add to soup.
- Add salt and ground pepper to taste.
- Serve and sit back so you may enjoy the smiles on everyone's face. This really is a "keeper". ENJOY!