Recipe by Bergy
Beautiful combination of flavors with the orange and chili. You could do this recipe in a crock pot, cook on low for 8 hours
Top Review by Miss Erin C.
These are fantastic! I used 2 whole, dried Ancho Chilis instead of the powdered kind. I just took out the seeds and threw them in. Very good. I love to find new recipes for country style ribs, this was great.
- 2 tablespoons bacon fat or 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 lbs country-style pork ribs, cut into individual ribs
- 2 medium onions, cut into 1/4" slivers
- 1 can tomatoes (1 lb size or 450Gr)
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons ancho chilies, dried,ground & seeded
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon clove
- 1⁄2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1⁄3 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄4 cup unrefined sugar (or dark brown) (optional)
- 1 teaspoon orange rind, grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- orange slice (for garnish)
- fresh cilantro stem (for garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat fat (oil) in a 5 quart Dutch Oven.
- Add ribs in a single layer to brown on all sides 15-20 Minutes.
- If necessary remove browned ribs and brown remainder ribs.
- Remove ribs and discard all but 2 tbsp Fat.
- Add onions, saute until soft, 4 minutes.
- Process tomatoes and garlic in food processor or blender until smooth.
- Add chilies, cinnamon and cloves to the onions cook& stir for a few seconds.
- Add Tomatoe, cook 5 minutes or until bubbling.
- Add orange juice, wine orange rind, salt and sugar (if using) cook until bubbling.
- Lower heat, add ribs,Cover and simmer until the ribs are very tender, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Remove ribs to serving platter, keep warm.
- Skim& discard the fat.
- Stir in the vinegar.
- Spoon Sauce over the ribs.
- Garnish with Orange slices and cilantro.