4 hrs 20 mins
Simple basic fare; ribs smothered in Green Chile with potatoes. Easy to put in the crock pot and forget. The longer it cooks, the better it tastes. I first stumbled on this recipe in one of the local Mexican eateries, and just had to figure out how to make it at home. Make plenty; it tastes even better the second day. Pork chops or country style ribs may be substituted for pork short ribs, if desired. Buttered corn is a good vegetable to serve with this.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (4 lb) rack pork spareribs
- 1 (40 ounce) jar green chili sauce, 505 medium, Stokes, equivalent homebrewed
- 3 -4 raw potatoes, in 1-inch cubes
- 1 -2 drop dave's ultimate insanity habanero sauce (or the fire of your choosing) (optional)
- black pepper (coarse ground is best)
- garlic powder
- shredded cheddar cheese
- flour tortilla, warmed
- 1Remove excess fat from ribs as required. Cut rack of ribs only as needed to fit in large pot. Bring to boil and then fast simmer slabs of ribs in water, seasoned with salt, pepper, garlic powder, for 30-45 minutes. As ribs are boiling, place green chile in slow cooker. Heat to just bubbling, but do not allow to come to a boil.
- 2Remove ribs from boiling water, and slice into individual ribs. Arrange ribs in slow cooker, then place raw potato cubes on top, ensuring that ribs and potatoes are fully submerged in green chile.
- 3Simmer until potatoes are fully cooked, 2-3 hours. If the Green Chile gets too thin, thicken with a little Corn Starch.
- 4With slotted spoon, remove potatoes from cooker to plates, top each serving with shredded cheddar and place under broiler just long enough to melt the cheese.
- 5Arrange ribs on plates, and cover with ladled green chile. Serve with warmed tortilla to sop up the good stuff.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Costillas Verde (Ribs in Green Chile)
Serving Size: 1 (901 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2954.8
- Calories from Fat 1934
- Total Fat 214.9 g
- Saturated Fat 81.1 g
- Cholesterol 707.6 mg
- Sodium 851.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 84.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 17.8 g
- Sugars 17.0 g
- Protein 165.4 g