Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
I had these several times in Costa Rica and loved them. Great do ahead recipe
Make and share this Costa Rican Zapallitos Rellenos (Stuffed Zucchini) recipe from Food.com.
- 4 zucchini
- 1 hard-boiled egg, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup cheese (Jack, mozzarello or your choice)
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- salt & pepper
- 1⁄4 cup whole wheat fesh breadcrumbs
- Boil the zucchinis until tender, apprx 8-10 minutes.
- let cool, cut in half lengthwise.
- Scoop out the insides and place in a strainer, Force as much liquid out as possible.
- Combine the squash paste, egg, grated cheese,& milk, mix well.
- Fill the zucchini shells.
- Sprinkle with the bread crumbs and parmesan cheese (get them ready up to this point and then just pop them in the oven 15 minutes before serving).
- Heat in 350F oven for apprx 10-15 minutes or until the parmesan is browned and they are heated through.
Bergy, this is a very tasty recipe. Nice, mild flavors for a light supper. I made it just as you posted. I believe that a pepper jack cheese might be nice too. This is an easy recipe and nice for all that summer squash. Thanks for posting.