Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is the way my suegra used to make rice every day in Costa Rica.
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 1 tablespoon corn oil or 1 tablespoon canola oil or 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 carrot, diced small
- 1 -2 garlic clove, minced
- Heat oil over medium heat.
- Add garlic, but don't let it brown.
- Add rice and cook for about 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Add 2 cups water, cook uncovered and get a strong boil going for a couple of minutes.
- Add carrots and salt to taste, reduce heat to low and cover for 10 minutes.
I made this rice dish to accompany chicken marinated in Costa Rican Marinade. The rice was very, very bland even after adding chopped onion while sauteing the garlic. DH and I agreed the flavor could have used more depth. Perhaps substituting chicken stock for the water would have helped? I'm sorry, but we didn't care for this recipe.