This recipe is from www.tastycooking.com. Authentic Costa Rican dish!
Make and share this Costa Rican Tilapia recipe from Food.com.
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 4 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro or 4 tablespoons parsley, divided
- 4 teaspoons minced garlic, divided
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- 6 (5 ounce) tilapia fillets
- 3⁄4 cup long-grain rice
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 oranges, peeled, seeded, coarsely chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes, un-drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans or 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, drained, rinsed
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- For the tilapia marinade, combine lime juice, 1 tablespoon olive oil, 2 tablespoons cilantro, 1 teaspoon garlic, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and sugar in a shallow dish.
- Add tilapia and marinate 15 minutes, turning once.
- To prepare the bean and rice mixture, cook the rice according to package and keep warm while the tilapia is marinating.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a large, skillet or saucepan, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil on medium heat. Add remaining garlic and onions; sauté until translucent, about 5 minutes, stirring. Add 2 tablespoons cilantro, oranges, tomatoes, beans, oregano, 1 teaspoon salt, pepper, and cayenne.
- Cook, uncovered, until hot, 7 to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Transfer hot rice to a 9 by 13 inch baking dish. Spoon the bean mixture on top of rice and gently blend. Slightly overlap tilapia fillets on top and scrape marinade over fillets.
- Bake 16 to 20 minutes.