Prep 35 mins
Cook 35 mins
from "the cooking photographer" - http://www.thecookingphotographer.com/2010/03/kathias-costa-rican-style-black-bean.html
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 large bell pepper, your choice of color
- 1 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄3 cup water, for deglazing pot
- 7 cups cooked black beans
- 6 eggs
- Warm the olive oil in a large pot over medium high and add the onion, carrots, bell pepper, sea salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder. Stir to combine and cook stirring occasionally until the vegetables are tender and the onions start to brown. About 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add the water to the pot and deglaze the bottom of the pan. Puree 2 cups of the black beans with two garlic cloves. Add the puree and the rest of the black beans with their liquid to the soup pot. Cook stirring often until bubbly.
- Carefully crack the eggs into prep bowls, one per prep bowl. Then slide eggs gently into the soup pot and cover with a lid. Cook for a couple of minutes until the egg whites solidify but leave the yolks runny to taste.
- To serve, scoop up the beans with an egg into individual bowls. Garnish as desired and serve with tortillas.