Prep 30 mins
Cook 6 hrs
from "The Cooking Photographer" - http://www.thecookingphotographer.com/2010/03/kathias-costa-rican-style-black-bean.html
- 1 lb dried black beans
- 1 garlic clove
- 6 cups hot water
- 2 teaspoons coarse sea salt
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 large bell pepper, your choice of color
- 1 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- lots of freshly cracked black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄3 cup water, for deglazing pot
- 1 recipe slow cooked black beans, above
- 6 eggs
- Rinse beans well in a colander, then spread out on a baking sheet and sort out any rocks or bad looking beans. Place the beans in a slow cooker, and the garlic clove, and cover with hot water. Do not salt the beans at this point or the skins will get tough.
- Cook on low heat for 5 to 6 hours. Test for doneness. Turn off the heat and add the salt. Let the beans rest until you’re ready to start the soup.
- Warm the olive oil in a large pot over medium high and add the onion, carrots, bell pepper, sea salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder. Stir to combine and cook stirring occasionally until the vegetables are tender and the onions start to brown. About 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add the water to the pot and deglaze the bottom of the pan. Meanwhile puree 2 cups of the black beans with the garlic clove they were cooked with. Add the puree and the rest of the black beans with their liquid to the soup pot. Cook stirring often until bubbly.
- Carefully crack the eggs into prep bowls, one per prep bowl. Then slide eggs gently into the soup pot and cover with a lid. Cook for a couple of minutes until the egg whites solidify but leave the yolks runny to taste.
- To serve, scoop up the beans with an egg into individual bowls. Garnish as desired and serve with tortillas.