Member #610488's Note:
Served with soft corn tortillas, this traditional Costa Rican dish works for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. Salsa Lizano is a Costa Rican condiment that’s similar to Worcestershire sauce but thicker and sweeter.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 177.44 ml long-grain white rice
- kosher salt, to taste
- 29.58 ml canola oil
- 1 small yellow onion, cut into small dice
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and cut into small dice
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2.46 ml ground cumin
- 59.14 ml tomato sauce
- 453.59 g can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 44.37 ml Lizano sauce, more to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 8 large eggs
- 29.58 ml fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1Put the rice, a big pinch of salt, and 1 1/2 cups of water in a 3-quart saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, reduce the heat to low, cover, and cook until the rice has absorbed the water and is tender, about 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside with the lid on.
- 2Meanwhile, heat 1 tbsp of the oil in a 4-quart saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, bell pepper, garlic, and a pinch of salt; cook, stirring occasionally, until softened about 3 minutes. Add the cumin and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- 3Add the tomato sauce and stir for 1 minute. Add the beans and 1 cup of water and simmer until the liquid reduces to the level of the beans, about 4 minutes.
- 4Add the rice to the beans and mix well. Stir in the Salsa Lizano and season to taste with salt and pepper. Keep warm.
- 5Heat the remaining 1 Tbsp of oil in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat, swirling the pan to coat evenly. Gently crack the eggs into the pan. Season with salt and pepper, cover, and cook until the yolks’ edges have just begun to set, 2 to 3 minutes. (The eggs should cook gently, so lower the heat if needed.) Separate the eggs with the edge of a spatula.
- 6To serve, put a heaping spoonful of the rice and beans on a plate and slide 2 eggs on top. Sprinkle with the cilantro.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Costa Rican Rice and Beans With Fried Eggs
Serving Size: 1 (274 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 458.6
- Calories from Fat 156
- Total Fat 17.3 g
- Saturated Fat 3.8 g
- Cholesterol 372.0 mg
- Sodium 227.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 51.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.5 g
- Sugars 2.4 g
- Protein 23.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: