This cake is a specialty at Cafe Cartago, Commerce City, Colorado
Make and share this Costa Rican Raisin Cake recipe from Food.com.
- Mix cornstarch and coffee in saucepan until smooth.
- Add 1/2 cup sugar and cook over low heat, stirring constantly until thickened.
- Add raisins and nuts and set aside while preparing batter.
- Beat butter until soft and fluffy.
- Add brown sugar and remaining white sugar and continue beating until thick and light in color.
- Add cream of tartar and baking soda together and add alternately with milk.
- Add vanilla and mix well.
- Pour 1/2 the batter into a buttered 8-inch square pan.
- Spread with raisin mixture and cover with remaining batter.
- Bake in preheated 350°F oven for 40 minutes or until knife comes out clean.
- Cool and turn out of pan and cut into nine squares.