Recipe by Mercy
This cake is a specialty at Cafe Cartago, Commerce City, Colorado
Top Review by Elly in Canada
We enjoyed this raisin cake, will definitely make it again! Next time I will add some rum to the raisin/nut mixture, I know it will be delicious! My cake was done in 40 minutes, this is a nice easy recipe.
- 14.79 ml cornstarch
- 118.29 ml freshly brewed coffee
- 177.44 ml granulated sugar, divided
- 236.59 ml seedless raisin
- 118.29 ml chopped nuts
- 118.29 ml butter
- 118.29 ml dark brown sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 473.18 ml flour
- 7.39 ml cream of tartar
- 7.39 ml baking soda
- 118.29 ml milk
- 4.92 ml vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix cornstarch and coffee in saucepan until smooth.
- Add 1/2 cup sugar and cook over low heat, stirring constantly until thickened.
- Add raisins and nuts and set aside while preparing batter.
- Beat butter until soft and fluffy.
- Add brown sugar and remaining white sugar and continue beating until thick and light in color.
- Add cream of tartar and baking soda together and add alternately with milk.
- Add vanilla and mix well.
- Pour 1/2 the batter into a buttered 8-inch square pan.
- Spread with raisin mixture and cover with remaining batter.
- Bake in preheated 350°F oven for 40 minutes or until knife comes out clean.
- Cool and turn out of pan and cut into nine squares.