Recipe by Mercy
This cake is a specialty at Cafe Cartago, Commerce City, Colorado
Top Review by Elly in Canada
We enjoyed this raisin cake, will definitely make it again! Next time I will add some rum to the raisin/nut mixture, I know it will be delicious! My cake was done in 40 minutes, this is a nice easy recipe.
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup freshly brewed coffee
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 1 cup seedless raisin
- 1⁄2 cup chopped nuts
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix cornstarch and coffee in saucepan until smooth.
- Add 1/2 cup sugar and cook over low heat, stirring constantly until thickened.
- Add raisins and nuts and set aside while preparing batter.
- Beat butter until soft and fluffy.
- Add brown sugar and remaining white sugar and continue beating until thick and light in color.
- Add cream of tartar and baking soda together and add alternately with milk.
- Add vanilla and mix well.
- Pour 1/2 the batter into a buttered 8-inch square pan.
- Spread with raisin mixture and cover with remaining batter.
- Bake in preheated 350°F oven for 40 minutes or until knife comes out clean.
- Cool and turn out of pan and cut into nine squares.