Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is one good rice & beans recipe - if you wish you can use kidney or other beans, still good
Make and share this Costa Rican Gallo Pinto ( Black Beans & Rice) recipe from Food.com.
- 3 cups day old cooked rice
- 2 cups cooked black beans (canned are ok)
- 2 tablespoons onions, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon sweet bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons coriander, finely chopped
- 3 strips bacon, chopped,cooked,drained & crumbled
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1⁄2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 tablespoon Tabasco sauce (or more)
- Saute the onions& pepper in the oil.
- Add beans& cook 2 minutes longer.
- Add the rice& stir together, cook 3 minutes.
- Add worcestershire, tabasco & coriander, mix well.
- Garnish with bacon bits.
- If you want garnish with sour cream.
Excellent and tastes just like what we've had in Costa Rica. I used Melinda's hot sauce, since that is what is used in Costa Rica.
I'd made this some time back. I did not garnish with bacon, instead, did that with cilantro. Also, I did not use Tobasco and Worcestershire sauces. I remember garnishing with cilantro and thin strips of green bell pepper. The dish was amazing, both, presentation and taste wise. I served it with low-fat yogurt and everyone had a grand time:)
I did not use bacon and found this to be extremely bland. I can't imagine that the bacon would add enough flavor to make this worth making again.