Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This recipe is from the November 2001 issue of Gourmet Magazine. This sorbet keeps one week in the freezer.
- 2 cups white sugar
- 2 cups water
- 5 1⁄3 cups fresh cranberries (you can subsitute frozen but do not thaw them)
- 1⁄4 cup vodka
- 1⁄4 cup lime juice
- 2 tablespoons Cointreau liqueur or 2 tablespoons orange liqueur
- Bring sugar and water to a boil in a 3 quart heavy saucepan, stirring until the sugar is dissolved. Add cranberries and simmer, uncovered, until berries are collapsed- 8 to 10 minutes.
- Pour mixture through a large sieve into a bowl, gently pressing on the solids to extract liquid (without forcing the pulp through the sieve), and discard the solids.
- Cool cranberry syrup mixture, then chill, covered until cold.
- Stir in vodka, lime juice, and cointreau and freeze in an ice cream maker. Transfer to an airtight container and put in the freezer to harden.