Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
- 1⁄2 cup dark raisin
- 3 tablespoons sherry wine, warmed
- 7 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup raw wild rice, rinsed and picked
- 1 cup raw jasmine rice
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh ripe pineapple, coarsely chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 cups chicken, cooked -- coarsely chopped
- 5 scallions, thinly sliced
- 2⁄3 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 cup plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon gingerroot, peeled and minced
- This recipe was created by royal chefs to celebrate the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II.
- In a small non-reactive bowl, combine raisins and sherry to soak.
- In a large Dutch oven, bring 6 cups of water to a rolling boil over medium-high heat and add 1 teaspoon salt. Add the wild rice and gently boil about 50 minutes or until grains are tender and split open to reveal their white cores.
- Drain and let cool to room temperature. While the wild rice is cooking, combine the wild rice with 1 1/2 cups cold water and 1/2 a teaspoon salt in a medium sauce pan.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat; stir well.
- Cover tightly, reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes undisturbed.
- remove from heat and let stand 10 minutes.
- Uncover and fluff gently with a fork; set aside to cool to room temperature. In a large non-reactive bowl, combine raisins and their soaking liquid, red peppers and chicken.
- Add the cooled rices and most of the scallions, reserving a handful for garnish.
- Toss well.
- Add the Dressing and toss again.
- Cover and chill until serving time. Sprinkle with remaining scallions and serve chilled or cool.
- Curried Yogurt Dressing: Combine all ingredients in a non-reactive bowl and whisk until fairly smooth and well combined.
- Cover and chill until needed.