Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is a favorite in the UK for buffet and picnic. Once you try it, it will become a firm favorite for the summer.
- 3 lbs whole chickens
- 2 onions, peeled and chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 sprigs fresh coriander
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon coriander seed
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon tomato puree
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1⁄4 pint red wine
- 1⁄4 pint mayonnaise
- 4 tablespoons apricot chutney
- 1⁄4 pint whipping cream
- 3 ounces mixed salad greens, washed
- 2 ounces salted cashews
- apricot, quartered
- 1 sprig fresh coriander
- Trim away excess fat and skin, then wash and pat chicken dry with absorbent kitchen paper.
- Place the chicken in a large pan with half the chopped onion, 1 bay leaf and the coriander sprigs.
- Pour in enough water to cover the chicken and bring to the boil.
- Cover and simmer for 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until cooked.
- Leave to cool in the liquid for about 30 minutes.
- Drain the chicken then strip away and discard the skin.
- Slice all the meat from the carcass, cut into bite sized pieces and set aside.
- Heat the oil and sauté remaining bay leaf, onion, coriander seeds, cumin and curry powder for 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato puree, lemon juice and red wine, then simmer gently for 10 minutes.
- Press the mixture through a sieve (metal is best) and leave to cool.
- Mix together the mayonnaise, apricot chutney and the cooled curry mixture.
- Whip the cream until it just forms soft peaks.
- Fold into the mixture together with the chicken pieces.
- Mix well and season to taste.
- Arrange the salad leaves on a serving plate and spoon the chicken mixture.