1/1 Photo of Corny 'n Spicy Cornbread
Dedee Royale's Note:
I love cornbread but it usually is a little dry for my tastes. To avoid that this recipe is made with 1/3 cup mayonnaise and 2 eggs and baked in a 10" cast iron skillet. Serve w/ your next Southern meal or turkey dinner, or just as a breakfast food. And yes, the recipe calls for FOUR teaspoons of baking powder (not an error)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 4 tablespoons jalapeno peppers, minced
- 2 tablespoons green peppers, minced
- 1/2 cup canned kernel corn, with pimentos, drained
- 1Pour milk in a bowl and add the 1 tablespoons lemon juice. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- 2Meanwhile combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- 3Make a hole in the center and add beaten eggs, mayonnaise, oil, milk, and mix till just blended.
- 4Add jalapeno pepper, green pepper, canned corn and blend well.
- 5Place mixture in fridge for 20 minutes to stand.
- 6Pour into an oiled 10" cast iron skillet and bake at 425For 20 minutes.
- 7Remove from oven and spread one tablespoon butter on top.
- 8Cut into wedges and serve warm.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Corny 'n Spicy Cornbread
Serving Size: 1 (99 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 223.5
- Calories from Fat 94
- Total Fat 10.5 g
- Saturated Fat 2.0 g
- Cholesterol 42.6 mg
- Sodium 388.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 3.8 g
- Protein 4.9 g