Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
I love cornbread but it usually is a little dry for my tastes. To avoid that this recipe is made with 1/3 cup mayonnaise and 2 eggs and baked in a 10" cast iron skillet. Serve w/ your next Southern meal or turkey dinner, or just as a breakfast food. And yes, the recipe calls for FOUR teaspoons of baking powder (not an error)
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄3 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 4 tablespoons jalapeno peppers, minced
- 2 tablespoons green peppers, minced
- 1⁄2 cup canned kernel corn, with pimentos, drained
- Pour milk in a bowl and add the 1 tablespoons lemon juice. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Make a hole in the center and add beaten eggs, mayonnaise, oil, milk, and mix till just blended.
- Add jalapeno pepper, green pepper, canned corn and blend well.
- Place mixture in fridge for 20 minutes to stand.
- Pour into an oiled 10" cast iron skillet and bake at 425For 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and spread one tablespoon butter on top.
- Cut into wedges and serve warm.
This was tasty and had a good texture. The additions of corn and jalapenos added color and flavor. Very pretty! Made for Pick A Chef 2014.