Caryn Dalton's Note:
I make these a lot during the winter when we tend to eat a lot of soups, chili's and stews. I used to use Jiffy mix as a base and then add corn and other ingredients, but this is just as easy, less expensive and results in very moist and yummy muffins or bread. Adopted from Betty Crocker's 1-2-3 Dinner with some changes. Don't forget to add the sugar, I left it once and the muffins were just not that good.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2/3 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil (I prefer canola)
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour (I often use white whole wheat)
- 3/4 cup white cornmeal or 3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (8 3/4 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained or 1 cup frozen whole kernel corn (thawed) or 1 cup cream-style corn
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1Heat oven to 400 degrees. Grease 8 medium muffin cups (18-20 minutes) or 16 mini muffins,which we prefer over the big muffins (12-15 minutes), or line with paper baking cups. Alternatively, we use a greased 9x6 glass dish for 35 minutes.
- 2Beat milk, oil and egg in medium bowl. Stir in remaining ingredients except corn just until flour is moistened (don't over mix). Fold in corn(s). TIP: If making muffins use either cream style or whole corn not both. If making in a 9x6 pan, use both for a moister bread.
- 3Divide batter evenly among muffin cups to 3/4 full.
- 4Bake using above recommended times, but a toothpick test works nicely with this. Keep in mind cream style corn makes it more moist -- when using this ingredient, you should have a few moist crumbs stuck to your toothpick, but not a big wet streak. During the last few minutes of baking, you can sprinkle cheddar cheese on and let it melt. Go easy, if at all with the cheese on the muffin pan because it's a pain to clean it off the pan if it sticks. I normally use the cheese when making chili too.
Browse Our Top Muffins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Corny Corn Muffins
Serving Size: 1 (73 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 189.9
- Calories from Fat 65
- Total Fat 7.3 g
- Saturated Fat 1.4 g
- Cholesterol 29.2 mg
- Sodium 317.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 4.0 g
- Protein 4.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
reduced-fat cheddar cheese