Recipe by Darlene Summers
Yum Yum just plain good.
Top Review by Leahcooks
Flavor is good. I would recommend mixing the dry ingredients together first, then adding the wet to avoid clumps of baking powder in your bread. I also thought it could have used more cheese. I couldn't really taste the cheese. I might double it next time. It went well with our dinner and I'd make it again, with a few adjustments to the cheese and mixing dry ingredients first!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (if using self-rising flour,omit the baking powder and salt)
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 (7 ounce) can whole kernel corn, well drained
- 1⁄4 cup shortening, melted or 1⁄4 cup salad oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Grease 8x8x2 square pan or 9x9x2 pan.
- Measure all ingredients in order listed in bowl.
- Stir just till flour is moistened.
- Batter will be lumpy.
- Spread evenly in pan.
- Bake 8 inch pan 45 minutes.
- Bake 9 inch pan 35 minutes or bake till golden brown.