Recipe by sidMILB
I saw this on Paula's Home Cooking. I've not made it yet. May try for this weekend. Please let me know what you think! (sounds really odd.)
Top Review by Chelley-Chelle
I liked it!! So did my adult friends. The kids, however, were picking out the stuff they didn't like. I don't like bell pepper, so I didn't use that. The recipe has 2 16-oz cans of water chestnuts, but the real recipe on the food network calls for 2 8-oz cans. I also toasted the nuts (pecans) and used golden raisins instead of regular ones. It kept really well over night and is still crisp on the third day! One key to the recipe, I think, is to use bananas that are not very ripe. I used yellow ones that still had a touch of green and no brown spots. I think riper ones would have been too overpowering.
- 1 head iceberg lettuce, washed,patted dry,and torn into pieces
- 1⁄2 cup diced green bell pepper
- 1⁄2 cup diced celery
- 1 cup frozen green pea, thawed,uncooked
- 2 (16 ounce) cans sliced water chestnuts
- 3 bananas, sliced,tossed with
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 3⁄4 cup raisins
- 3⁄4 cup chopped pecans or 3⁄4 cup walnuts or 3⁄4 cup salted peanuts
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 3⁄4 cup chopped green onion, green part only
- 10 -12 slices bacon, cooked until crisp,chopped
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large rectangular dish, layer salad ingredients in the order listed, stopping after the nuts.
- Mix dressing ingredients and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Spread dressing over entire top of salad, covering it completely.
- Sprinkle cheese, green onions, and bacon over salad.
- Refrigerate for 3 to 4 hours before serving.