Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
From http://www.anncoojournal.com/2013/10/wheat-free-sponge-cake.html. I posted here to check nutritional data. Thank you the original poster for such a great recipe. I used it for my tiramisu recipe with great result. This will be my staple recipe when I need a simple sponge cake.
- Preheat oven to 180°C Grease with butter or cooking spray, 20cm/8 inch round cake pan; line base with baking paper.
- Beat eggs with 2 tsp vanilla extract at medium high speed for about 10 minutes or until thick and creamy. Gradually add sugar, beating until dissolved between additons at medium speed.
- Sieve in the cornflour little by little for the third time and fold well in with a rubber spatula.
- Pour mixture into pan and spread evenly; bake for about 20 minutes or skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean. Turn sponge onto a wire rack to cool.
- Dust with a little sifted icing sugar and top with some fresh blueberries or any berries you like. Can also spread some jam to go with it.
This recipe does not work like it should. I would think it might work better if you beat the egg whites separately and folded them in maybe. As it is, this cake has no leavening so it's basically a sweetened omelet with corn starch. I don't think I will bother trying this one again.