Recipe by Second2None
From http://www.anncoojournal.com/2013/10/wheat-free-sponge-cake.html. I posted here to check nutritional data. Thank you the original poster for such a great recipe. I used it for my tiramisu recipe with great result. This will be my staple recipe when I need a simple sponge cake.
Top Review by Jack G.
This recipe does not work like it should. I would think it might work better if you beat the egg whites separately and folded them in maybe. As it is, this cake has no leavening so it's basically a sweetened omelet with corn starch. I don't think I will bother trying this one again.
- 3 (65 g) eggs
- 1⁄2 cup caster sugar (use 85g for less sweet cake)
- 3⁄4 cup cornflour, sifted twice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 180°C Grease with butter or cooking spray, 20cm/8 inch round cake pan; line base with baking paper.
- Beat eggs with 2 tsp vanilla extract at medium high speed for about 10 minutes or until thick and creamy. Gradually add sugar, beating until dissolved between additons at medium speed.
- Sieve in the cornflour little by little for the third time and fold well in with a rubber spatula.
- Pour mixture into pan and spread evenly; bake for about 20 minutes or skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean. Turn sponge onto a wire rack to cool.
- Dust with a little sifted icing sugar and top with some fresh blueberries or any berries you like. Can also spread some jam to go with it.