Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
This if from the cornstarch box. It takes me back to the good ol' days of seventh grade homemaking class. Very easy and a nice treat.
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Place cornstarch, salt, and sugar in mixing bowl, and mix well.
- Add 1/2 cup milk, and stir until smooth.
- Scald 1 1/2 cups milk in top of double boiler, and add cornstarch mixture slowly, stirring constantly.
- Place over boiling water in bottom of double boiler, and cook slowly, stirring constantly until smooth and thickened.
- Cover, and cook for 15 minutes longer, stirring occasionally.
- Add vanilla and stir.
- Pour into individual molds which have been rinsed in cold water.
- Chill until firm.
- Unmold and serve with maple syrup, cream, chocolate sauce, sliced peachs, or sliced apricots as desired.
- Chocolate: Add 1 square unsweetened chocolate, melted, at the same time vanilla is added.
- Coconut: Add 1/2 cup shredded coconut to scalded milk.
I was looking for a blancmange recipe and came across this. I used one percent milk and it thickened up nicely (and fast). I used two pans for my makeshift double boiler. this was delicious hot and great on my sore throat. Thanks Bertha