Prep 2 hrs
Cook 15 mins
From Southern Living.
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package dry yeast
- 1⁄4 cup water (105-115F)
- 1 3⁄4 cups skim milk
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup margarine or 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs or 1⁄2 cup egg substitute
- 1 1⁄2 cups cornmeal
- 5 -5 1⁄2 cups flour, divided
- butter-flavored cooking spray
- Dissolve yeast in warm water in a large bowl; let stand 5 minutes.
- Combine milk, sugar, oil, margarine, and salt in a saucepan and cook over low heat until margarine melts.
- Cool to 105-115°F.
- Add milk mixture to yeast mixture; stir in eggs, cornmeal, and 2 cups flour. Beat mixture at medium speed until smooth; stir in enough flour to make a soft dough. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 8 minutes or until smooth and elastic.
- Place in a bowl that was coated with cooking spray; cover and let rise in a warm place for an hour or until doubled.
- Punch dough down and shape into 72 balls.
- Spray muffin tins with cooking spray.
- Place 2 balls in each muffin cup.
- Let rise in a warm place for 45 minutes or until doubled.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Bake muffins for 12-15 minutes or until golden.
- Coat muffins with cooking spray and remove from pans immediately.