From the Southern section of the United States Regional Cookbook, Chicago Culinary Institute, 1947. Posted in response to a recipe request. Cooling time for the mush not included in the preparation time.
- Cook corn meal, water, and butter or shortening in a double boiler for ten minutes, stirring frequently.
- Sift flour, salt, baking soda together.
- Beat eggs until very light and add to cornmeal mush.
- Add sifted flour mixture alternatively with milk and stir thoroughly.
- Add enough buttermilk or sour milk to make a thin batter.
- Spray your waffle iron with cooking spray.
- Bake batter in hot waffle iron until golden brown.