1/1 Photo of Cornmeal-Sage Biscuits and Sausage Gravy
This is an excellent version of an old countryside favorite. It includes make ahead instructions that could be helpful when you have friends and family gathered for holidays.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 631.69 ml all-purpose flour
- 78.07 ml cornmeal
- 19.71 ml baking powder
- 14.79 ml sugar
- 3.69 ml cream of tartar
- 2.46 ml salt
- 29.58 ml finely chopped green onions (1 green onion)
- 4.92 ml finely snipped fresh sage or 1.23 ml dried sage, crushed
- 177.44 ml butter
- 295.73 ml buttermilk (or sour milk or 1 cup milk)
- 1 recipe sausage gravy
- chopped green onion (optional)
- 1Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. In a large bowl stir together flour, cornmeal, baking powder, sugar, cream of tartar, salt, the 2 tablespoons green onion, and the sage. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture. Add buttermilk all at once. Using a fork, stir just until moistened.
- 2Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead dough by folding and gently pressing it just until dough holds together. Pat or lightly roll dough until 3/4 inch thick. Cut dough with a floured 2 1/2-inch round cutter; reroll scraps as necessary. Dip cutter into flour between cuts.
- 3Place dough rounds 1 inch apart on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake for 12 to 14 minutes or until golden. Remove biscuits from baking sheet. Cool slightly.
- 4To serve, split biscuits and place on serving plates. Top with Sausage Gravy. If desired, top with additional green onions.
- 5SAUSAGE GRAVY:.
- 6In a very large skillet cook bulk pork sausage and chopped onion over medium-high heat until meat is brown and onion is tender, using a wooden spoon to break up meat as it cooks. Do not drain.
- 7Sprinkle all-purpose flour over meat mixture; stir into the meat mixture. Cook and stir over medium heat for 1 minute. While whisking, gradually add milk. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 1 minute more. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in snipped fresh thyme, if desired. Makes about 5 cups.
- 8TO MAKE AHEAD:.
- 9Prepare biscuits as directed; cool completely. Place biscuits in a resealable plastic freezer bag; seal, label, and freeze for up to 2 months.
- 10Prepare sausage gravy as directed. Place in an airtight container; seal and chill for up to 48 hours. To serve, thaw biscuits at room temperature (allow about 2 hours). If desired, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place biscuits on a baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes. In a medium saucepan reheat sausage gravy over medium-low heat for 10 to 15 minutes or until heated through. If necessary, stir in additional milk to make desired consistency.
Browse Our Top Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cornmeal-Sage Biscuits and Sausage Gravy
Serving Size: 1 (208 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 453.3
- Calories from Fat 235
- Total Fat 26.1 g
- Saturated Fat 13.2 g
- Cholesterol 93.3 mg
- Sodium 419.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 2.9 g
- Protein 21.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: