Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
adapted from king arthurs flour site and kt made blog if you dont want to add sugar honey or real maple syrup works well also
- mix milk ,butter, eggs ,cornmeal, sugar and rye together
- let rest 15 minutes for flours to soften
- add lemon juice mix
- add baking soda and baking powder
- pam the heck out of waffle iron every time these guys stick
- batter will be thick use a little less than 1/2 cup of batter and spread it out a little
- the longer you cook these the crisper they are.
Wonderfully different, a cross between cornbread and rye bread, no wonder that this is one of the favorite recipes in the King Arthur Flour Baking Book. We each had 2 waffles (the mix made 9) and were full, thanks to the whole grains. (BTW, I used rye flour I had ground myself because I make so much rye bread.) An idea to try next time is to separate the eggs, and fold in whipped whites with the baking powder and baking soda; that should make the waffles even lighter. Made for Please Review My Recipe tag game.