Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Traditional and simple, always delicious, poundcake is always one of the most versatile and loved desserts. The cornmeal adds a nice toothsome crunch and the toasty corn flavour enhances the butterness of this cake.
- 1 1⁄2 cups unsalted butter, plus
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 6 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 1⁄2 cups cake flour
- 1⁄2 cup cornmeal
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- Pre-heat the oven to 350*F. Butter and flour a 9 X 5 inch loaf pan.
- Cream the butter and sugar until well combine and fluffy.
- Whisk together the eggs, milk and vanilla and gradually add to the butter mixture, beating well to combine.
- Sift together the cornmeal, flour, baking powder and salt. Add half to the batter and beat to combine, then add the remaining half, gently folding in with a spatula.
- Spoon batter into prepared pan, smoothing top with a spatula. Place on a baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes. Lower the oven temperature to 325*F and bake for about 1 hour 15 minutes longer, until tests done. If the top of the cake seems to be getting too brown, but cake is not done, cover with foil and continue baking. Let cool slightly on a wire rack before inverting.