Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is an South African dish very popular at barbecues. It is very tasty and even little kids love it.
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄4 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup bacon bits
- Heat oven to 375°F.
- Spray 8x8-inch square pan.
- Mix cornmeal, water, buttermilk, melted butter, sugar and salt together.
- Heat till boiling and let simmer for 5 minutes-stirring constantly.
- Let cool.
- Mix in eggs, baking soda, and half of the cheese.
- Pour into prepared pan.
- Sprinkle over the left over cheese and bacon bits.
- Bake 30-35 minutes or until toothpick is inserted in the middle and comes out clean.
This dish is quick and easy to make! I used "real bacon" bacon bits, and left out the extra salt as the other ingredients left it quite salty! It is best served warm, but my guests enjoyed it right out of the fridge as well! This dish reheats well, so it can be made the day before serving.