Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
These pancakes have a great texture, flavour and have a picture perfect presentation. The ratio of cornmeal to flour is high in these pancakes creating a nice almost crisp outside with a soft inside. Recipe created by me.
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄8 cups cornmeal
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 1⁄8 cups 1% fat buttermilk (or 1 1/8 cups skim milk plus lemon juice)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Combine flour, baking soda and cornmeal.
- Add egg, buttermilk and vanilla.
- Stir until just mixed.
- Pour by 1/4 cup into a hot pan.
- Cook until bubbles appear, flip.
- Makes about 10 pancakes.
- I put 1 serving as one pancake.
- Note: This recipe is very versatile; If you like sweeter pancakes, add 1 tbsp of sugar; These are also good with 1 cup of blueberries, or try any other kind of fruit; Cinnamon may also be added for extra flavour.
They weren't heavy at all, nice and light and fluffy. The recipe was easy to follow, simple ingredients and directions. They cooked up nicely. However, these weren't for us. My family never had cornmeal pancakes before. I thought we would really like them, we like pancakes and we like corn muffin. I do think they turned out like they were supposed to. They just weren't for us. Thank you for a simple, easy recipe that allowed us to try something new. Like they say, you never know unless you try.
Wonderful with blackberry jam and Greek yogurt! I'm thinking they'd be good dinner pancakes with, say, mushroom gravy. Hobbitt food!
I made the recipe as posted, with buttermilk, adding 1 teaspoon of salt and a Tablespoon of sugar, since I knew I'd be eating them without syrup. I needed to add 1 Tablespoon of flour for the right consistency -- but my eggs are extra large and that might have made a difference.
Using 1/4 cup measure I got 7 pancakes.
They were wonderful -- light, fluffy and tasty. I didn't need oil, but I used a new skillet so nothing sticks yet.
I will definitely make these again! They'll also be great for when I'm craving a cornmeal muffin, but don't want to take the time to make them. I can't wait to try the leftovers with grape jelly.